Dutchess Community College Archival Images Gallery
Before DCC: Samuel and Nettie Bowne Hospital
In 1910 Nettie Bowne proposed that a tuberculosis hospital be built on the Pendell farm in Poughkeepsie, New York in memory of her husband, Samuel W. Bowne, a New York City businessman and philanthropist. The main hospital was dedicated in 1928, and expanded to include three main buildings by 1950. Only the original hospital building, now known as Bowne Hall, still exists.
After World War II preventative treatments for tuberculosis limited the need for such hospitals, and in August, 1956 the hospital closed. Ten months earlier the Dutchess County Board of Supervisors had appointed a committee to pursue establishing a community college in Dutchess County.
The images below have been scanned from the original
to produce a hospital brochure circa 1935. Click on a thumbnail to see a
larger version of the image.
|Blueprint of the main hospital||View of the South Porch||View of East Front of the Hospital||View of the garden|
|View of the Garden||View of the Garden||Heliotherapy||Hospital|
|Main Building||Main Dining Room||Main Entrance||Music & Books|
|One of the Pavilions||One of the Porches||One of the Solariums||Parlor|
|Pool, Cards & Letters||Postcard of Bowne Hospital||The Preventorium||Radio & the Latest Fiction|
|Sleeping Porch||View of the
|Throat & Dental Clinic
Corner of the Library
|Violet Ray Treatment|
Scan Artiste: Jeffery Collins
Contact Ron Crovisier. 845.431.8642
Page last revised: 12/20/12
Copyright © 2001